SPRINGFIELD, IL â€“ The Illinois State Board of Education will convene for a regular business meeting on June 17 at Oswego East High School in Oswego, IL. Prior to the meeting, board members will be touring Oswego East High School.
All State Board of Education meetings listed on this agenda will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than one day prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent’s office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
Chairman Meeks may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.
State Board of Education Meeting
June 17, 2015
Location: Oswego East High School, 1525 Harvey Rd., Oswego, IL
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at: www.isbe.net
8:00 â€“ 10:00 a.m.
I. Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance
A.Â Â Â Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
II. Public Participation
III. Resolutions & Recognition
A. 2015 Arts Alliance Poster Contest Winner
IV. P-20 Council Liaison Report
V. Presentations and Updates
A. Oswego School District Presentation
B. Teacher of the Year, Steve Elza
C. Student Advisory Council Final Presentation
VI. Superintendentâ€™s Report – Consent Agenda
All action consideration items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted in one motion and vote.Â Any board member who wishes separate discussion on any item listed on the consent agenda may remove that item from the consent agenda, in which event, the item will be considered in its normal sequence.
A. *Approval of Minutes
1. Plenary Minutes: May 14, 2015
B. *Rules for Initial Review
1. Part 226 (Special Education) Makes numerous changes in response to recently enacted legislation, and includes other technical updates and clarifications.
2. Part 401 (Special Education Facilities under Section 14-7.02 of the School Code) Responds to recently enacted legislation (P.A. 98-972 (State assessment) and P.A. 97-607 (licensure), and adjusts the type of and timeframe for fire inspection reports in response to staff shortages at the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
C. *Rules for Adoption
1.Â Â Â Â Â Â Part 50 (Evaluation of Educator Licensed Staff under Articles 24A and 34 of the School Code) Updates references to the new testing system, per P.A. 98-972, effective August 15, 2014, and addresses the use of the climate survey results in principal evaluations. One letter of public comment supporting the rulemaking was submitted.
2.Â Â Â Â Â Â Part 228 (Transitional Bilingual Education) Updates references to the new testing system and emphasizes the responsibility of charter schools to conform to State and federal requirements pertaining to English learners, as is required under P.S. 98-639, effective June 9, 2014.
3.Â Â Â Â Â Â Part 600 (Enrollment of and Payment for Nonresident Students at the Philip J. Rock Center and School) Authorizes the enrollment of students from out of state at the school portion of the Philip J. Rock Center and School, provided that they meet the eligibility requirements and the school has space available that is not needed for eligible students from Illinois. One letter of public comment supporting the rulemaking was submitted.
D. Revised Illinois Learning Standards for Social Science
E. *Contracts & Grants Over $1 Million
1. Learning Technology Center Grant
2. USDA Foods Warehousing and Distribution Sole Source Contract with Lanter
3. Illinois Longitudinal Data System (ILDS) Data Warehouse
4. Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS), Employment Information System (EIS)
5. Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
F. *Update to the Strategic Plan
End of Consent Agenda
G. 2016 Board Meeting Dates
H. NASBE Dues â€“ Membership Renewal 2016
VII. Discussion Items
A. Budget Update
B. Legislative Update
C. Other Items for Discussion
VIII. Announcements & Reports
A. Superintendentâ€™s/Senior Staff Announcements
B. Chairmanâ€™s Report
C. Member Reports
IX. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Information Items
1. ISBE Fiscal & Administrative Monthly Reports (available online at http://isbe.net/board/fiscal_admin_rep.htm
2. Status of Agency Rulemaking:Â FY 2015
3. Anticipated Rulemakings:Â FY 2016 (July through December)
X. Â Closed Session