Serial rapist sentenced to 75 years in prison

A convicted rapist who attacked and sexually assaulted three Chicago women after he was released from prison in 2009 has been sentenced to 75 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections, Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez announced today.

Julius Anderson, 63, received the 75-year term in connection with three attacks dating back to August and September of 2009. Anderson had previous convictions for sexual assault and armed robbery in 1973, and two sexual assault and armed robbery convictions in 1977. He had spent more than 30 years in prison and was released on parole from the Illinois Department of Corrections on June 25, 2009 to a half-way house in Chicago’s Bucktown neighborhood, where he committed the three sexual assaults just months after his release.

Anderson was ultimately convicted on multiple charges of Attempted Home Invasion, Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse and Attempted Criminal Sexual Assault in connection with the three attacks. In all three of the incidents, Anderson approached the victims from behind and threatened to kill them if they did not comply with his demands.

“We are extremely grateful for and applaud the sentence in this case because it will ensure that this violent predator will never again walk the streets of Chicago to prey on innocent women,” Alvarez said.

In the first attack, which occurred in the early morning hours on Aug. 15, 2009, prosecutors said a 25-year-old victim was held at knife point and forced into a gangway where she was sexually assaulted by Anderson. The second attack occurred three days later on Aug. 18, when Anderson assaulted and choked a 28-year-old woman and forced his way into her apartment. Prosecutors said once inside the apartment, Anderson restrained the victim with nylon cord, removed her clothes and fondled her before tying a cord around her neck and telling her she was going to die before fleeing the apartment.

According to prosecutors, the third attack occurred on Sept. 1 when Anderson attacked a 28-year-old woman as she entered her Bucktown apartment and pushed his way in behind her. After entering the apartment, Anderson forced the victim into the rear bedroom and bound her wrists with electrical tape. He then removed her clothes with a knife, cutting her breast in the process. Anderson then attempted to sexually assault the victim before stealing several items from the apartment and fleeing the scene.

Cook County Judge Charles Burns sentenced Anderson to the 75 year prison term during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courts Building in Chicago. State’s Attorney Alvarez thanked Chicago Police Department Detectives and Assistant State’s Attorney Jennifer Gonzalez for their dedicated work on the case.