SPRINGFIELD, IL â€“ The Illinois State Board of Education will convene for a regular business meeting on March 18 at the ISBE offices in Springfield.
All State Board of Education meetings listed on this agenda will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the date prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent’s office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
Chairman Meeks may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.
State Board of Education Meeting
March 18, 2015
Location:Â Illinois State Board of Education, 100 N. First St., Springfield
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at:Â www.isbe.net
I.Â Â Â Â Â Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance
A.Â Â Â Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
II.Â Â Â Public Participation
III.Â Â P-20 Council Update
IV.Â Â Â Presentations and Updates
A. Student Advisory Council Presentation
B. SIG Progress Update
C. National Lewis University New Teacher Preparation Model
D. Senate Bill 1 Model Results and Edunomics
Break for Lunch
V.Â Â Â Superintendentâ€™s Report – Consent Agenda
A. *Approval of Minutes
1. Plenary Minutes: February 11, 2015
B. *Rules for Initial Review
1. Part 50 (Evaluation of Educator Licensed Staff under Articles 24A and 34 of the School Code) Updates references to the new testing system, per P.A. 98-972, effective August 15, 2014, and addresses the use of the climate survey results in principal evaluations.
2. Part 228 (Transitional Bilingual Education) Updates references to the new testing system and emphasizes the responsibility of charter schools to on form to State and federal requirements pertaining to English learners, as is required under P.S. 98-639, effective June 9, 2014.
3. Part 600 (Enrollment of and Payment for Nonresident Students at the Philip J. Rock Center and School) Authorizes the enrollment of students from out of state at the school portion of the Philip J. Rock Center and School, provided that they meet the eligibility requirements and the school has space available that is not needed for eligible students from Illinois.
C. *Rules for Adoption
1. Part 25 (Educator Licensure) Addresses changes necessitated by recently enacted legislation (P.A. 98-751, P.A. 98-872 and P.A. 98-917) Concerning requirements for the educator license with stipulations endorsed for career and technical educator, the superintendentâ€™s endorsement and the principal endorsement, respectively. One public comment was received, supporting the rulemaking.
2. Part 33 (Programs for the Preparation of Superintendents in Illinois) Makes a technical correction in section33.70 to correct a reference to â€œprincipalâ€ preparation program. No public comment was received.
3. Part 235 (Early Childhood Block Grant Program) Incorporates requirements specific to the ExceleRate Illinois quality rating and improvement system and proposes standards for programs serving children from birth to age 3. Three entities submitted public comment and changes are being proposed in response to the comments received.
4. Part 252 (Driver Education) Makes a technical change to update a web address in Section 252.20(e). No public comment was received.
D. *Contracts & Grants Over $1 Million
1. Illinois Statewide Technical Assistance Center Grant Continuation
2. Request for Sealed Proposals for College Entrance Assessment
3. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Grant Agreements
E. *Special Education Expenditure and Receipts Report
End of Consent Agenda
F. Review of Annual Financial Profile
G. Consideration of Approval of Dominican University Alternative Secondary English Language Arts Program
H. Consideration of Approval of Relay Graduate School of Education Programs
VI.Â Â Â Discussion Items
A. District Oversight â€“ Monthly Update (Superintendent Koch)
B. Legislative Update
C. Other Items for Discussion
VII.Â Â Announcements & Reports
A. Superintendentâ€™s/Senior Staff Announcements
B. Chairmanâ€™s Report
C. Member Reports
VIII. Information Items
1.Â ISBE Fiscal & Administrative Reports (available online: http://isbe.net/board/fiscal_admin_rep.htm)
IX. Closed Session
X. Approval of Closed Session Minutes