today announced that 150 teams of Assistant Attorneys General and investigators from her staff will be working throughout the state on Tuesday, Feb. 22, to monitor elections to ensure are accessible and that Illinoisansâ€™ voting rights are protected.
urges voters to call her office if they encounter suspected improper or illegal activity.
Chicago and northern Illinois voters can call: 1-866-536-3496 (TTY 1-800-964-3013).
Downstate voters can call: 1-866-559-6812 (TTY 1-877-844-5461).
Madigan reminded voters of some of their basic voting rights:
- Voters have the right to vote if they are in line when the polls close at 7 p.m. or at any other time between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on ILCS 5/17-1). (10
- If a voter makes a mistake or â€œspoilsâ€ a paper ballot and the voter has not cast the ballot, the voter has the right to receive a replacement ballot (10 ILCS 5/17-11).
- If a voter cannot read, has trouble understanding English, or is disabled, that voter has the right to request assistance from anyone other than his or her employer, an agent of his or her employer, or an officer or agent of his or her union (10 ILCS 5/17-14).
- Voters have the right to take unpaid time from work to vote, but no more than two successive hours, as long as they have applied with their employer before Election Day. The employer may set the time of day (10 ILCS 5/17-15).
- No one is allowed to try to influence a voter within 100 feet of the polling place (10 ILCS 5/17-29).