SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Illinois State Board of Education has announced the following schedule for its regular business meeting via video-conference in Chicago, Springfield, and Marion on Wednesday, Dec 16.
All State Board of Education meetings listed on this agenda will be accessible to persons with disabilities. Persons planning to attend who need special accommodations should contact the Board office no later than the date prior to the meeting. Contact the Superintendent’s office at the State Board of Education, Phone: 217-782-2221; TTY/TDD: 217-782-1900; Fax: 217-785-3972.
Chairman Meeks may call for a break in the meeting as necessary in order for the Board to go into closed session.
State Board of Education Meeting
Dec. 16, 2015
Chicago Location: ISBE Video Conference Room, 14th Floor,
100 W. Randolph St., Chicago
Springfield Location: ISBE Video Conference Room, 3rd Floor,
100 N. First St., Springfield
Marion Location HFS Video Conference Room,
3419 Professional Park Drive, Marion
This meeting will also be audio cast on the Internet at: www.isbe.net
Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2015
I. Roll Call/Pledge of Allegiance
A. Consideration of and Possible Actions on Any Requests for Participation in Meeting by Other Means
II. Public Participation
A. FY17 Budget Development
1. FY17 Revenue Projections: Dan Long and Jim Muschinske, COGFA
2. FY17 Budget Development: Robert Wolfe, CFO
IV. Superintendent’s Report – Consent Agenda
All action consideration items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine and will be enacted in one motion and vote. Any board member who wishes separate discussion on any item listed on the consent agenda may remove that item from the consent agenda, in which event, the item will be considered in its normal sequence.
A. *Approval of Minutes
1. Plenary Minutes: November 20, 2015
B. *Rules for Adoption
1. Part 1 (Public Schools Evaluation, Recognition and Supervision) Proposes revisions to the Illinois Learning Standards for Social Science; identifies the assessment to be used for physical fitness, per P.A. 98-859, effective August 4, 2014; and addresses changes in requirements for the chief school business official endorsement and concussion policies (P.A. 99-58, effective July 16, 2015, and P.A. 99-245, effective August 3, 2015, respectively). Five letters of public comment were received, and changes are being proposed in response.
2. Part 30 (Programs for the Preparation of Principals in Illinois) In response to P.A. 99-58, eliminates a requirement for a principal preparation program offered by a not-for-profit entity to receive approval of its program from the Illinois Board of Higher Education, as well as the State Board of Education.
3. Part 180 (Health/Life Safety for Public Schools) Makes numerous changes to Part 180, the most significant of which is to incorporate the 2015 International Building Code as the standards applicable to public schools, including charter schools, located outside of the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago. No public comment was received.
4. Part 260 (Reading Improvement Program) Proposes two technical changes to update references to the State assessment system, per P.A. 98-972, effective August 15, 2015, and incorporate into the rules the most recent version of the American Educational Research Association’s standards for educational and psychological testing. No public comment was received.
5. Part 675 (Providers of Supplemental Educational Services) Proposes two technical changes to update references to the State assessment system, per P.A. 98-972, effective August 15, 2015, and incorporate into the rules the most recent version of the American Educational Research Association’s standards for educational and psychological testing. No public comment was received.
C. *Contracts & Grants Over $1 Million
1. Illinois Service Resource Center Grant: Will ensure that services can be delivered to provide continued support for children who are deaf and hard of hearing or visually impaired and exhibit behavioral, emotional, or mental health challenges.
2. Illinois Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) Grant will provide professional learning, technical assistance and coaching in data-informed processes for climate and culture instruction, intervention and assessment within a Multi-Tiered System of Support organizational framework. This will provide a more holistic approach to statewide professional learning and technical assistance around a prevention-focused, data-informed process within an MTSS framework.
3. School Improvement Grant: This grant will assist the state’s lowest performing Title I schools and Title I eligible schools designated as “Priority Schools” demonstrating the greatest need for and the strongest commitment to provide adequate resources in order to substantially raise the achievement levels of their students, thereby enabling the schools to exit Priority status.
4. Technical Assistant to Support the Education of English Learners–will establish a statewide system of technical assistance to support the education of English learners, including consultants with expertise in EL instruction, to promote the use of research based practices in EL education in Illinois schools, which will be provided at no cost to school districts. Under this contract, ISBE will also develop quality rubrics and other instruments for district to improve their services to English Learners.
5. Professional Development to Support the Education of English Learners–will allow ISBE to continue to provide professional development and technical assistance resources, including consultants with expertise in English Learner instruction, to promote the use of research based practices in EL education in Illinois schools, which will be provided at no cost to school districts. Under this contract, ISBE will also convene the annual Bilingual Parent Summit, which offers parent education and networking opportunities to attendees to support the work of the Bilingual Parent Advisory Committees at the district level.
End of Consent Agenda
V. Discussion Items
A. District Oversight – Monthly Update
B. Legislative Update
C. Other Items for Discussion
VI. Announcements & Reports
A. Superintendent’s/Senior Staff Announcements
B. Chairman’s Report
C. Member Reports
VII. Information Items
A.ISBE Fiscal & Administrative Monthly Reports (available online at http://isbe.net/board/fiscal_admin_rep.htm
B. Anticipated Rulemakings: FY 2016 (December through June)
VIII. Closed Session