The American Dream on Hold: Economic Challenges in the African American Community
Congressional Black Caucus and Joint Economic Committee Democrats Hold Public Forum and Press Conference in New York
WASHINGTON, D.C. – A public forum on the impact of economic challenges and persistent inequities facing African Americans across the country will be held on Friday, October 30, 2015, at 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. EDT at the Harlem Hospital Center located at 506 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, New York.
Congressman G. K. Butterfield, Chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney, Ranking Democrat on the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee (JEC), Congressman Charles B. Rangel, founding member of the CBC and Dean of the New York State Congressional Delegation, Congressman Gregory W. Meeks, Senior member of the House Financial Services Committee, and Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, Senior member of the House Judiciary Committee will host the forum.
Participants will hold a press conference immediately following the event.
• Congressional Black Caucus Chairman G. K. Butterfield (D-NC)
• Joint Economic Committee Ranking Democrat Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)
• Representative Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
• Representative Gregory W. Meeks (D-NY)
• Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX)
• Professor William “Sandy” Darity, Professor, Duke University
• David R. Jones, President and CEO, Community Service Society of New York
• Hope Knight, President and CEO, Greater Jamaica Development Corporation
• Jennifer Jones Austin, Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies
• Walter Edwards, Harlem Business Alliance
• Dr. Hazel N. Dukes, President, NAACP New York State Conference
• Gregory Floyd, President, Teamsters Local 237
• C. Virginia Fields, President and CEO, National Black Leadership Commission
• Clayton Banks, Founder and Co-Executive Producer, Silicon Harlem
• Alejandra Castillo, Esq., National Director, Minority Business Development Agency
WHAT: Public forum, “The American Dream on Hold: Economic Challenges in the African American Community”
WHEN: Friday, October 30, 2015, at 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. EDT
WHERE: Harlem Hospital Center
506 Malcolm X Boulevard
New York, NY 10037
The press conference will be held at the Mural Pavilion.