ISBE issues Child and Adult Care Food Program Eligibility Guidelines for New Fiscal Year

SPRINGFIELD, IL — The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) announced the availability of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for fiscal year 2016 (July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2016. CACFP is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered annually by ISBE.

“The Child and Adult Care Food Program plays an important role in making sure all of our children are getting proper nutrition and are ready to learn,” said State Superintendent of Education Tony Smith, Ph.D. “The agency is proud to help administer the program once again.”

The program is designed to primarily assist child care centers, Head Start programs, before- and after-school programs, emergency shelters, and day care home providers with funding to provide nutritious meals to children in their care. All participating child care centers and day care homes must provide meals to enrolled children at no additional charge.

Income Eligibility Guidelines: Effective from July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2016

Free Meals

130% Federal Poverty Guideline

Reduced-Price Meals

185% Federal Poverty Guideline





Twice Per Month


Every Two Weeks


Weekly Household Size


Annual Monthly Twice Per Month


Every Two Weeks


1 15,301 1,276 638 589 295 1 21,775 1,815 908 838 419
2 20,709


863 797 399 2 29,471 2,456 1,228 1,134 567
3 26,117 2,177 1,089 1,005 503 3 37,167 3,098 1,549 1,430 715
4 31,525


1,314 1,213 607 4 44,863 3,739 1,870 1,726 863
5 36,933 3,078 1,539 1,421 711 5 52,559 4,380 2,190 2,022 1,011
6 42,341


1,765 1,629 815 6 60,255 5,022 2,511 2,318 1,159
7 47,749 3,980 1,990 1,837 919 7 67,951 5,663 2,832 2,614 1,307
8 53,157 4,430 2,215 2,045 1,023 8 75,647 6,304 3,152 2,910 1,455
For each additional family
member, add
5,408 451 226 208 104 For each additional family member, add 7,696 642 321 296 148

Individuals in households that receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are automatically eligible to receive free meal benefits. Children enrolled in Head Start or Early Head Start programs, or foster care children who are legal responsibilities of the State or court, are also allowed to receive free meal benefits at approved Head Start facilities. Parents or guardians should contact their child care center or day care home provider to find out if they participate in this program.

The USDA Household Income Eligibility Guidelines are listed for families that do not receive TANF or SNAP benefits. If a household’s income falls within or below the listed guidelines, they should contact their child care center or day care home provider to learn about benefits of the program. They may be required to complete an application and provide income, TANF or SNAP information.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) To file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; by fax at (202) 690-7442; or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities can contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish, or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers. Go to for a listing of hotline numbers by state). The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

For additional information at the Child and Adult Care Food Program, visit ISBE’s Nutrition and Wellness Program Division online at