Protesters said they will take over 5th floor City Hall to push for police violence accountability before the mayoral runoff election.
CHICAGO, IL â€“ According to the planners of tomorrowâ€™s protest, over the past 5 years there have been over 300 shootings by Chicago Police Department officers, resulting in over 90 fatalities. (Source. Independent Police Review Authority). Not one Chicago police officer has been indicted, fired, or even suspended as a result of these shootings.
On Thursday, March 5th, at 4 p.m., the families of some of these shooting victims will take over the 5th floor of Chicago’s City Hall to demand, among other things, a meeting with Mayor Emanuel before the April 7th runoff election.
Speakers at the takeover will include family members of Rekia Boyd, Dakota Bright, Roshad Mcintosh, Ronald Johnson, Darius Pinex, Desean Pittman, and others killed by Chicago Police Department officers.
Their demands are:
- An immediate meeting between Mayor Emanuel and families of those killed by Chicago police
- An investigation of unpaid suspensions of all officers involved in Chicago police shootings, including recommended indictments to states attorney office
- A detailed plan to improve relationships between police and African American communities
- Creation a civilian police accountability council and elimination of the Independent Police Review Authority (IPRA)
- A commitment from the may to provide oversight and transparency at the Homan Square police facility
- Immediate passage of the Reparations Ordinance for survivors of Chicago police torture, and revocation of John Burge’s pension
“Families of Chicagoans killed by Chicago police deserve accountability now. How many mayors does this town have to go through before they get justice?” says William Calloway, an organizer with Christianaire Inc. who helped plan Thursday’s takeover. “The current mayor has not addressed the issue of police-on-community violence, and Chuy Garcia, his opponent, wants to put 1,000 more officers on the street. This is alarming.”
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/499137790225526