CHICAGO, IL â€“ The security of personal data has become one of the most important issues facing both consumers and businesses. That is one of the many topics the Better Business Bureau (BBB) urges consumers to focus on during Consumer Protection Week (March 1-7).
On Thursday, March 5th, 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. the BBB will host a “Consumer Protection Fair” at the Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph Street. The BBB will be joined by the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, Federal Trade Commission, Legal Assistance Foundation, the U.S. Postal Inspections Service, and the City of Chicago’s Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection.
“Educating themselves is the best way for consumers to level the playing field against scammers and bad businesses,” states Steve Bernas, president & CEO of Better Business Bureau serving Chicago and Northern Illinois. “We want both consumers and businesses to be proactive in taking action that protects everyone. Don’t wait until a scammer takes advantage of your lack of knowledge.”
The Better Business Bureau has resources consumers can use year-round:
- Sign up for the Consumer NOW newsletter for recent tips and scams in the Chicagoland area.
- Check out our BBB Solutions blog.
- For the latest consumer tips, like us on Facebook , follow us on Twitter and add us on Pinterest.
- Share your customer service experience with others.
- The Consumer Resource Guide has a roster of BBB Accredited Businesses that you can trust.
- If there is a disagreement with a business, file a complaint.
- Learn about identity theft and how to prevent it.
- Had an offer that sounded like a scam? Report it here.
- Subscribe to the Scam Stopper for our scam alerts.
- Check out our website for the latest news.