24
September , 2018
Monday

Email This Post Email This Post

Why Daughters Need Fathers

Posted by Admin On January - 22 - 2015

By Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu

Excerpted from Raising Black Girls and Educating Black Girls

The media and the academic community provide a wealth of information on why boys need their fathers. The most obvious being you can’t be someone you have not seen. Girls can look at their mothers and receive the importance and significance of role models on a daily basis. But, why do girls need fathers?

How will a girl learn how to be loved by a man? What criteria will a girl use to select a mate if she has not seen a man at home? Why do many females choose thugs over scholars? Why do so many choose disrespectful men over gentlemen? How will she know how she should be treated by a man?

Forty-seven percent of rapes are due to date rape. In a relationship, there is a 61% chance of a physical altercation. Sixty percent of teen pregnancies occur between males three to five years her senior. Are girls looking for an older male to fill the shoes of their missing daddies?

In my book, Raising Black Girls, I provide over 20 illustrations of girls suffering from “daddy issues”. They range from having a low grade point average, to depression. They include not being able to trust a man, staying in toxic relationships, multiple sex partners, and suicide. Our daughters are crying out for their fathers. The question becomes, are the fathers listening?

Some fathers feel that when children are younger they need their mothers more and some also believe their sons need them more than their daughters. I believe young children and daughters need their fathers more than ever before. When daughters are loved and respected by the most important male in their lives, they will not settle for second best.

Can you visualize a father reviewing his daughter’s attire before she leaves the house? Many females dress promiscuous because the father was absent. Can you picture a father rehearsing the famous lines males use to try to seduce young girls? This could reduce teen pregnancy and possessing an STD. Can you imagine a father taking his daughter out in a limo to a five star restaurant? He is teaching her to be a queen and to have high standards and high expectations. He is teaching her not to act like the degrading names gangster rappers call females.

The challenge is that only 28% of our daughters have fathers in the home. I am imploring the remaining 72% to call their daughters and begin to spend time with them. Don’t worry, she will teach you all the things that interests her, like, what she wants to do with you, what she wants to talk about, and how she wants you to love her.

How nice to anticipate her glorious wedding day where you will walk her down the aisle and give your daughter away to a man that meets your approval. A man who reminds you of yourself.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Comments

Welcome to CopyLine Magazine! The first issue of CopyLine Magazine was published in November, 1990, by Editor & Publisher Juanita Bratcher. CopyLine’s main focus is on the political arena – to inform our readers and analyze many of the pressing issues of the day - controversial or otherwise. Our objectives are clear – to keep you abreast of political happenings and maneuvering in the political arena, by reporting and providing provocative commentaries on various issues. For more about CopyLine Magazine, CopyLine Blog, and CopyLine Television/Video, please visit juanitabratcher.com, copylinemagazine.com, and oneononetelevision.com. Bratcher has been a News/Reporter, Author, Publisher, and Journalist for 33 years. She is the author of six books, including “Harold: The Making of a Big City Mayor” (Harold Washington), Chicago’s first African-American mayor; and “Beyond the Boardroom: Empowering a New Generation of Leaders,” about John Herman Stroger, Jr., the first African-American elected President of the Cook County Board. Bratcher is also a Poet/Songwriter, with 17 records – produced by HillTop Records of Hollywood, California. Juanita Bratcher Publisher

Recent Posts