Pastor Hunter: ‘Marriage is between a man and a woman’
By Chinta Strausberg
A number of black ministers Sunday will ask their parishioners to call their state lawmakers and urge them not to pass the controversial same-sex marriage bill, according to Pastor Marvin Hunter, from the Grace Memorial MBC.
While the legislation is good until 2015, Pastor Hunter fears there may be some political Shenanigans played that could lead to the approval of this legislation when black lawmakers are unaware.
Explaining, Pastor Hunter said, â€œWe donâ€™t want them to use their political tactics and wait until we arenâ€™t looking and then pass it later on. We donâ€™t have a lobbyist in Springfield so we will not be aware if this bill comes up in the future and that it may be appended to another bill.
â€œThe Black Caucus needs to know that this is not something the black preachers want passed,â€ said Hunter. â€œThis is not a civil rights issue. It is a moral issue. Marriage is an institution of the church and it is sacred. Marriage should remain between a man and a woman as prescribed by the bible.
â€œNo one is arguing about civil union because the core of this bill is the American right to share resources between people who say they care about each other,â€ Hunter explained. â€œWhen you talk about marriage, you are talking about the institution that is believed to be implemented by God. Therefore, the church should protect the institution of marriage which is believed to be between a man and a woman.â€
At the request of their parishioners, the black pastors are asking their members who may not be aware of this bill to call their legislators urging them not to pass this legislation.
â€œThe Constitution says there should be a separation between the church and the state; however, the law was not put there to protect the government from the church,â€ Hunter said. â€œIt was put there to protect the church from the government.â€
Sunday, the black ministers will distribute a list of the names and phone numbers of the legislators to their parishioners asking them to tell lawmakers that â€œthe African American church does not support same-sex marriage.â€
â€œThe majority of the white legislators are against this bill and he LGBT community is depending on the Black Caucus to produce the votes needed for passage,â€ said Hunter.
â€œThe African American pastors stand with the Cardinal in urging lawmakers not to pass this bill which can be pushed through any time through the year 2015. Weâ€™re asking the Black Caucus to not push it through now or ever,â€ said Hunter.
Sources say 12 votes are needed to pass this controversial bill.
Pastor Hunter shared his study on Paulâ€™s questions about marriage:
PAUL ANSWERS CHURCH QUESTIONS (7:1-16:24)
After discussing disorders in the church, Paul moves to the list of questions which the Corinthians.
Had sent him, including subjects of marriage, singleness, eating meat offered to idols, and clothing in worship, orderliness in the Lordâ€™s Supper, spiritual gifts, and the resurrection. Questions which plague churches today are remarkably similar to there so we can receive specific guidance in these areas.
1. Instruction on Christian marriage.
Questions about marriage:
1. Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
3. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
4. The wife hath not power of his owe body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power
of his own body, but the wife.
5. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
6. But I speak this by permission and not of commandment.
7. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner and another after that.
8. I say therefore to the married and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
9. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
10. And unto the married, I command, yet not I but the Lord, let not the wife depart from the husband.
11. But and if she departs let her remained unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
12. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
13. And the woman who hath a husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
14. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean: but now are they holy.
15. But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
16. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? Or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
Paulâ€™s answers to marriage were based on biblical principals from the natural laws of God.
1. God unequivocally forbids homosexual activity:
According to Leviticus 18:22, â€œDo not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.â€
2. God condemned Sodom and Gomorrah for their homosexuality. It is sin.
Genesis 18:20-21, â€œ Then the Lord said, The outcry against of Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin is so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.
3. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed on account of their unrepentant homosexuality:
Genesis 19: 4-5, â€œBefore they had gone to bed, all men from every part of the city of Sodom- both young and old-surrounded the house. They called to Lot, â€œWhere are the men who came with you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.â€
Genesis 19:24-25, â€œThen the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah-from the Lord out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities-and also the vegetation in the land.
4. The example of Sodom and Gomorrah is given as a warning for people of all ages. God holds homosexuals fully accountable for their sin.
2 Peter 2:4-10
2Peter 2: 6-10, â€œIf he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)-if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority.â€
Jude 6-7, â€œAnd the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home-these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.â€
5. Godâ€™s wrath is revealed against all of the godlessness and wickedness of men-including homosexuality.
6. Paul describes homosexuality as wicked perversion of Godâ€™s gift.
Roman 1: 26-27, â€œBecause of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same was the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.â€
7. The wicked including homosexuals-will not inherit the kingdom of God.
I Corinthians 6: 9-10, â€œDo you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexual immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexual offenders, not thieves, not the greedy, nor drunkards, nor slanderers will inherit the kingdom of God.â€
8. There is hope for homosexuals-God forgives and cleanses persons of this sin.
I Corinthians 6:11, â€œAnd that (homosexual offenders) is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.â€
According to the bible, homosexuality is a sin of the flesh and the Holy Spirit frees us from sin.
Romans 8: 1-8:
There is therefore now no condemnation to them, which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.
4. That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Chinta Strausberg is a Journalist of more than 33-years, a former political reporter and a current PCC Network talk show host. You can e-mail Strausberg at: Chintabernie@aol.com.