President Barack Obama: U.S. Supreme Courtâ€™s Decision a victory for people all over this country
U.S. Senator Mark Kirk: The health care law threatens our economic recovery.
WASHINGTON, D.C. â€“ In a historic decision the U.S. Supreme Court today by a 5-4Â vote upheld the constitutionality of the Affordable Health Care Act.
President Barack Obama said the U.S. Supreme Courtâ€™s decision is a victory for people all over this country.
Responding to the U.S. Supreme Courtâ€™s 5-4 decision upholding the constitutionality of the Affordable Health Care Act, President Obama said: â€œWhatever the politics, todayâ€™s decision was a victory for people all over this country whose lives are more secure because of this law and the Supreme Courtâ€™s decision to uphold it.â€
Kirk (R-Ill.) released the following statement: Â
“While I respect the Courtâ€™s decision, the health care law threatens our economic recovery by raising taxes, imposing new regulations and creating a drag on the economy,” said Senator Kirk. “Congress should repeal the health care law and replace it with common sense, centrist reforms that give Americans the right to buy insurance across state lines and expand coverage without raising taxes, while blocking the government from coming between patients and their doctors.”
Calling the Affordable Health Care Act a good law, Illinois Lt. Governor Sheila Simon said, â€œIt helps seniors, young adults and middle class Americans receive stronger, more affordable care. It promotes preventive care, such as checkups and mammograms. And it prevents insurance companies from denying care to people with pre-existing conditions or charging women more based on their gender. The Supreme Court ruling today upholds these commonsense protections and puts our country on a healthier path. In Illinois, I encourage our state leaders to use this ruling as a backdrop as we set policies to make our citizens healthier, train the next generation of health care workers, grow local food systems and find other opportunities to move our state forward.”
Others weigh-in on the Supreme Courtâ€™s health care ruling:
Illinois GOP Chairman Pat Brady said â€œObamaCare will lead to the implosion of our health care system, an explosion of our national debt and economic uncertainty for millions of job creators. This comes as no surprise since Barack Obama spent his formative political years in Springfield being trained by Illinois Democrats like Michael Madigan, who through years of mismanagement, have led Illinois to having the worst budget deficit, credit rating, pension debt and business climate in the nation.â€
In his statement, Jim Duffett, Executive Director of The Campaign for Better Health Care, said the â€œAmerican public has been battling the opponents of fairness and corporate insurance industry greed for 100 years to create a system of health care that works for all.. An affordable, accessible, quality system of health care gives consumers and small businesses the ability to choose, and ensures their peace of mind and security. Obamacare accomplishes these goals.
Duffett also pointed out some of the overall benefits of the Affordable Health Care Act:
Who is protected and helped by Obamacare?
1) You and your family: Obamacare makes health care coverage more secure for working families. You can no longer be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition, or lose your coverage when someone gets sick and needs to use it.
2) Women: The new health care law makes health care more secure and fair for women by ending denials due to pre-existing conditions and ensuring women can no longer be charged 150% of what men pay for the same coverage. Because of Obamacare, more than 20 million women have already received preventive care such as mammograms and pap smears without any out of pocket expenses.
3) Young Adults: Young adults want jobs and a future. Thanks to Obamacare, 2.5 million young adults are now more secure because they are able to stay on their parents insurance.
4) People with Cancer and other Health problems: Thanks to Obamacare, the more than 120 million Americans under 65 who have a â€œpre-existing conditionâ€ now have peace of mind from knowing they can no longer be denied affordable coverage.
5) Small Business: Under Obamacare, tax credits will help small businesses provide quality health care choices to their employees. Soon they will also have the ability to leverage their purchasing power as a group and get the same lower rates as big corporations do.
â€œTodayâ€™s Supreme Court decision helps to strengthen our nationâ€™s tattered social fabric and provides hope that constitutional law and democracy matters,â€ commented Jim Duffett, Executive Director of the Campaign for Better Health Care.Â
Duffett continues, â€œIt is time for the obstructionists in the Republican Party in Congress and in Springfield, and a handful of insurance industry backed Democrats in Springfield to stop their crusade against Obamacare.Â It is time to put America and Illinois first, act like adults, and do something positive for a change that will help small businesses and hard working Americans by implementing Obamacare.Â Meanwhile, we are urging Governor Quinn to immediately sign an Executive Order and begin implementing the new insurance Marketplace (exchange) so Illinois’ hard working families and small businesses will continue to enjoy the benefits of access to affordable, quality health care.â€Â
Duffett concludes, â€œThank you Obamacare and thank you President Obama for keeping your word and delivering for the American people.Â The United States can now join the rest of the sane western industrial world that provides affordable, accessible and quality health care to its people.â€